Friday 24 April 2009

Sandstone Bolt Clipping.

Tuesday saw the club go on its first outdoor weekday trip of the year. The destination; Tirpentwys, one of the best bolted crags in the area. I was climbing with Duncan who had hurt his foot but we were still well up for some hard climbing. Yet unfortunately all those days of sitting at my desk doing work and not climbing seemed to have taken a bit of a toll on me! The first climb Ledges and Braces was only a 5 but I still found it quite difficult, missing a bolt because it was to awkward to clip and then bolting to the top.

The next route was a 6a, something I would normally run up no problems at all, and took over 20 minutes to onsight and by the time I had got to the top I had the deepest pump I've had for ages! Not exactly inspiring stuff! The next route was 6b and I dogged 3 clips, much to my shame. I then got annoyed and went and finished off all the easy routes at the crag, meaning I have no completed over 50% of all the climbs at Tirpentwys! I think the reason for this poor performance may be attritubuted to my declined finger strength struggling on the small crimps that are so natural to quarried sandstone combined with a probable aversion to going above gear because I haven't in so long! Either that, or I just need to man up.

All in all though, a really fun trip. Its good to see the club outside and active again!

The Routes:
Shrew F5
Yank my Chain F4
Paw Me F4+
The Chimney Finish F6a *
Ledge and Braces F5
Twisted logic F6b

No comments: