Monday 1 June 2009

Haresfield Beacon

Climbing in Stroud is, well, pretty crap. In the whole of the Cotswalds there appears to be only two crags. My newly driving brother and I headed up to one of these, Haresfield Beacon Rocks today. Actually on rechecking just now, we went to a completely different place! But it must have been somewhere in the same area... I think. Well in any case, we only tried a bit of traversing, getting an upper (Font 5a) and lower (font 5b/c) traverse of the main buttress in as well as a mod (font 2/3) up the main chimney (we didn't top out though). If it is a new crag (which I doubt!) there may be potential for a new hard route up the main overhanging buttress but I think it will need a prior inspection and clean first as the rock type is very sandy and weird!




No comments: